Name: Derrick Lim
Company: D’Marvel Scale Pte Ltd
Position within company: Principal Director
Tell us a little about your background in design
I have been in the design industry for 22 years and I have done various hospitality, commercial, institutional projects and of course residential, which is what I have been doing on the main.
How would you describe your personal interior design style?
I like it simple hence, modern linear and simplicity has always been my personal design style. Nothing too overpowering.
Where does your design inspiration come from?
Generally, my inspiration comes from architecture and graphic designs. At times, music and fashion also help enhance my thinking process!
Name 5 key themes to consider when approaching design in 2016 and beyond
1. Simplicity: Less is always more.
2. Intelligent storage: Storage systems that “blend” itself into its surroundings are very much incorporated in my designs. To me, it’s very important for the storage systems to be as less visible as possible.
3. Smart Home: As technology is getting more advanced, I think it’s logical for smart homes to steal the limelight. Technology is already in the palms of our hands, why not have it in the convenience of our own home?
4. Convenience: Ultimately, my designs are suited to my clients’ needs. Therefore, if my designs add on to their convenience, I know I have succeeded.
5. Linear live: The use of vertical and horizontal lines creates another added layer of depth and drama to the entire space.
If you could offer one piece of advice when it comes to interior design schemes, what would it be?
It is very important to understand your client before you embark on the project. By understanding the client’s lifestyle and the site condition, you are more likely able to produce a better design that is suited to the client’s needs. Each site has its own uniqueness and I make sure I understand that characteristic and work on that basis.
How important are The International Design and Architecture Awards as recognition of talent and achievement?
To me, it is very important to achieve milestones in my career and The International Design and Architecture Awards is a platform for me to showcase my best projects and gain more exposure. Needless to say, I was very delighted when I got to know that 3 of my projects were shortlisted and this is definitely another milestone achieved for me!
What projects are you currently working on?
I am currently working on various residential projects that are due to be completed by the next couple of months and several commercial and institutional projects as well.
What are your aims and goals for the next 12 months?
I aim to explore many more different projects, to be able to handle a project freely without many constraints and of course have an even better design team.
Final thoughts; tell us a little more about yourself
Your most treasured possession – The ability to keep on learning. No matter how old/experienced we are, there is always room for learning and improvement.
Your favourite holiday destination – It would definitely be Japan, without doubt.
Your favourite hotel – My favourite hotel would have to be the Majestic Hotel (in Singapore) as it portrays a boutique ambience.
Your favourite book/film/song – I’m definitely not someone who reads but my favourite film has got to be Benjamin Button and I like acoustic music.
Your favourite way to spend an afternoon – I find joy in having coffee in the afternoon.
If you weren’t a designer, what would you be – I would be an artist.