Name: Koichiro Ikebuchi
Company: atelier ikebuchi pte ltd
Position within company: director
Shortlisted Project: Lanson Place Bukit Ceylon Serviced Residences, Kuala Lumpur
Tell us a little about your background in design
– Study architecture in Osaka.
– With several years of extensive experience in interior / product design work in Japan and Singapore
– In 2004, set up company, atelier ikebuchi pte ltd
– Received a number of international design awards, such as:
– Design Award by Saporiti Italia;
– Diamond International Award by De Beers;
– President’s Design Award Singapore.
– Completed projects are in countries across Asia pacific and Middle East, ranges from Hotel, Penthouse Office, Commercial to Super Luxury Residences.
How would you describe your personal design style?
The diversity of creations is underscored by a strong sense of discipline with an Asian perspective that is not rigid, but permissive of evolution.
Where does your design inspiration come from?
Curiosity for beautiful things, interesting things, from daily objects / elements that surround us.
In what direction do you feel that design is moving towards in a general sense?
More individual touch. Curiosity for beautiful things, interesting things, from daily objects / elements that surround us.
Name five key themes to consider when approaching design in 2015 and beyond.
If you could offer one piece of advice when it comes to design, what would it be?
Feel with heart and think with hand.
How important are The International Hotel and Property Awards as recognition of talent and achievement?
Its definitely an honour and privileged to be recognised by this award.
What projects are you currently working on?
Property projects in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong.
Commercial projects in Bangkok
Hospitality projects in Hong Kong
What are your aims and goals for the next twelve months?
Evolution of further sensitivity, always.
Final thoughts; tell us a little more about yourself
Your most treasured possession?
Your favourite holiday destination?
Your favourite hotel / restaurant / bar?
Small charming hotel
– Authentic Food Restaurant
– Chic Bar
Your favourite book / film / song?
– Non-phenomenon scene by Kuramata
– Nuovo Cinema Paradiso
– Energy Flow
Your favourite food and drink?
Your favourite way to spend an afternoon?
Movie, coffee & cigar
If you weren’t a designer, what would you be?