Louis Henri has reached the short-list of the International Product Design Awards and the International Design and Architecture Awards 2013.
To see who else has made the short-list visit – www.design-et-al.co.uk
Name: Louis Henri Bührmann
Position within company: Managing Director
1. What direction do you feel design is moving towards in general terms?
There are so many levels of design direction now, I find for us, we have been fortunate to have clients that are excited by pushing boundaries with materials and design aesthetic.
2. What are the key influencing elements at present?
Knowing where something has come from, the story, the maker and a coherent end result.
3. What sort of projects are you working on at the moment?
We have been working on our collection of over-scaled furniture and lighting. Various residential projects in London, Johannesburg, New York and a new hospitality design concept for a small hotel group.
4. A designer’s work is so diverse, how do you manage to hold down a career and a life?
My Pekingese Aimee keeps me grounded, our daily park walks gives me plenty of time to step back and take a fresh look at everything -its also good to see the seasons change
5. Name 5 key essentials for 2013 and beyond.
Something Gold, something old and something personal that mixed with friends and family.
6. If you could offer one piece of advice when it comes to product design, what would it be?
Understand the limitation of the material you are working with.
7. How important do you feel Design Awards are as recognition of designers talents and achievements?
It gives young designers, motivation and opportunity to reach a wider audience.
8. Final thoughts; tell us a little more about yourself
– Your favourite place to travel to in the world? Asia and Africa
– Your favourite hotel/ restaurant/ bar? A simple beach hut and hammock is all I need
– The place that gives you the most energy? The gym mixed with my favourite music it just lifts the spirit
– And the place that enables you to totally relax? Being at home painting.
– Your favourite food and drink? Having a BBQ in the snow on Christmas day