Priestmangoode & The Brand Union Shortlisted in the Commercial Cabin (Economy / Business Class) Category

design et al are delighted to announce shortlist success for IY&A 2013 winner, Priestmangoode and The Brand Union. This South African Airways cabin will compete in the Commercial Cabin (Economy / Business Class) Award in the International Yacht & Aviation Awards 2015.

PG_SAA_Entrance and Business Class_photo of finished cabin (Custom)

The brief for this innovative design was to create an interior language to represent South African Airways as a national carrier and, as Brand guardians for the continent, symbolising Africa.

PG_SAA_Business Class_photo of finished cabin (Custom)

Guidelines specified that 80 per cent of the look should be inspired by contemporary South African culture and the remaining 20 per cent from the wider African continent. Following a research visit, Priestmangoode and The Brand Union distilled a plethora of details – from colours to materials, traditional crafts, local fashion and trends, and inspiring interiors – into a concise visual story, portraying expressive pattern, warm tones, and textured surfaces.

PG_SAA_BCL Seat detail (Custom)

A well-proportioned colour palette of gold and anthracite with lively details was selected. Inspired by the country’s people and wealth of history, the palette contrasts the dark anthracite of contemporary South African architecture and cityscapes with the rich saturated golden tones of winter sun and earthen landscapes. Highlight colours such as burnt red and blues signify the ethnic colour burst of civilisation within the landscape. This offers vibrant, yet subtle notes of colour in the cabin through reveal details, brand panels, and feature stitching. Pattern was central to the materials and finishes across the interiors.

PG_SAA_Economy Class_photo of finished cabin (Custom)

Inspiration was taken from traditional African crafts, textiles, basket weaving and furniture. Three key patterns were identified: geometric woven diamond, geometric linear weaves and ribbed herringbone. These patterns were developed by Priestmangoode and The Brand Union for application throughout the cabin, leading to a truly unique and standout product.